Tuesday 28 February 2012

Horse Care


I am at a self care place right now as a boarder, and were I running a facility, there is ZERO chance I would allow self care given what I see. Not that anyone is abusing their horses where I am at or anything, but I still would not be willing to allow such a low standard of care at a place with my name attached.
really tired & even then a couple of hours revive me.

I once had a cop stop at my place at 2 AM because he saw all the barn lights on & thought something was wrong. I was working a horse.
However,
If I were a BO, I wouldn't allow self care except for under very specific circumstances with strict guidelines for care.

I might allow self care to a very responsible, mature person who lived close but other than that, no way. I certainly wouldn't offer if to people who were trying to use self care as a way to cheap out on their horse, or if I did, I'd have ridiculously high punishment fines for failure to follow the care guidelines. However, since I'm a huge softy, it's probably in my best interest to not ever offer self care.

I have my horse about 10mins away from me at a barn with 7 other horses/ponies. The couple I board with feeds and turns him out during the day. At some point during the day or early evening, I clean all 8 stalls (they provide shavings) and if a water bucket is dirty and something else needs or should be done, I'll take care of it. So a couple weeks ago when their gelding dug a hole to china in his run, I found it, so I filled it in. When my horse escaped and ended up with a minor gash, they cleaned and treated it, then chained his gate.

No comments:

Post a Comment