Tuesday 28 February 2012

Self care boarding vs full care-why & why not?

Someone in another thread was wondering why some barns do not offer self board. That's an interesting question. Let's talk about it.

I'm a BO who does not offer self board. Here are my reasons.
Most people do not realize the amount of time involved-every day
Anything not done I would have to do. I plan my day according to what needs to be done. I don't want a dirty stall or water bucket waiting for someone to come & clean it. I also don't want any last minute phone calls asking me to feed or clean because roads are bad, hangovers, sick or have something better to do ie: more fun
Feeding would have to be done individually & that may mean bringing your own horse in to feed, then turn back out or require individual turn out. How many times will someone hang around while their horse munches on hay before they are tired of doing that? 

The horses here are in small groups when outside & eat breakfast & lunch outside when not on pasture.

No comments:

Post a Comment